PDA

View Full Version : Cutting/Cardio

beepsy68
03-27-2015, 01:30 PM
What are your thoughts on high rep high set workouts as opposed to cardio. Is this plausable to maintain muscle growth and cut bf or would you advise cardio such as cycling rowing etc.

BIGDADDY
03-27-2015, 03:41 PM
What are your thoughts on high rep high set workouts as opposed to cardio. Is this plausable to maintain muscle growth and cut bf or would you advise cardio such as cycling rowing etc.

maybe some people might do it... but I don't think it will work.

the biggest factor that will result in cutting bf is DIET. Not workout and not cardio.

I can tell you I am always under 7-8% and I don't do ANY CARDIO at all! Nothing. Zero! What does "maintain muscle growth" mean? keep growing? or simply mantain muscle that you have?

I think the idea is inefficient. Does doing high rep high set workouts provide enough expenditure of calories as oppose to just doing cardio on a treadmill?

What you are probably wanting to do is not do the cardio but use the time for weight training to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Have your weight training replace your cardio time.

hmmm... I don't think you will be pleased with the results. Maybe some people successfully pull this off... but in reality... you need a specific amount of volume and intensity to make muscle growth, you simply need to use more calories than you consume to burn fat.

SMonMTS
03-27-2015, 03:51 PM
Imo do not combine lifting and cardio ... Lift heavy, and do cardio if needed. You'll be surprised how many calories you need to recover from shifting high tonnage too. Probably more than high rep light weight bullshit tbh

beepsy68
03-27-2015, 08:29 PM
Thanks for your input on this guys. I did mean maintain what I've managed to build so far. Just finding I have such a loss in strength while trying to get rid of stubborn fat. Im thinking too deep instead of getting on with it. Guess the message is grit teeth even more and still move as much weight as possible. Bought some stanavar from mts to try help towards getting bf down and gain some strength back. Was that a good decision. I will also have another look at the bmr calc to nail down the calories better. Once again thanks.

Chriss
03-30-2015, 08:21 PM
@MR BIG

I think most also do cardio for "health" related issues? Not as much as for losing the weight as you said its just cals in vs cals out really all diet and nothing more

Serotonin101
04-01-2015, 01:36 PM
Heart health is very important especially for you bigger guys. Remember, just because you're not fat, if you're holding tons of muscle that too puts a strain on the heart as that's many many extra meters/yards/miles/kilometers of vascular tissue to move blood through. A weak heart will fail in this environment eventually. Strengthening the heart will also lower blood pressure as well which is very good for us as well.

SRRRRR
04-16-2015, 04:08 PM
lift heavy and do cardio