PDA

View Full Version : Efficacy of Vitamin C Supplementation on Collagen healing oxidative stress

DarrenW29
02-10-2023, 02:37 PM
Efficacy of Vitamin C Supplementation on Collagen Synthesis
and Oxidative Stress After Musculoskeletal Injuries

Results

The initial search yielded 286 articles. After applying the inclusion and exclusion criteria, 10 articles were included in the final analysis. Of the preclinical studies evaluating fracture healing, 2 studies reported significantly accelerated bone healing in the vitamin C supplementation group compared with control groups. The 2 preclinical studies evaluating tendon healing reported significant increases in type I collagen fibers and scar tissue formation with vitamin C compared with control groups. The 1 preclinical study after anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) reconstruction reported significant short-term (1-6 weeks) improvements in ACL graft incorporation in the vitamin C group compared with control groups; however, there was no long-term (42 weeks) difference. Of the clinical studies evaluating fracture healing, 1 study reported no significant differences in the rate of fracture healing at 50 days or functional outcomes at 1 year. Vitamin C supplementation was shown to decrease oxidative stress parameters by neutralizing reactive oxygen species through redox modulation in animal models. No animal or human studies reported any adverse effects of vitamin C supplementation.

Preclinical studies demonstrated that vitamin C has the potential to accelerate bone healing after a fracture, increase type I collagen synthesis, and reduce oxidative stress parameters. No adverse effects were reported with vitamin C supplementation in either animal models or human participants; thus, oral vitamin C appears to be a safe supplement but lacks clinical evidence compared with controls. Because of the limited number of human studies, further clinical investigations are needed before the implementation of vitamin C as a postinjury supplement.

Preclinical studies demonstrated that vitamin C has the potential to accelerate bone healing after fractures, increase type I collagen synthesis, and reduce oxidative stress parameters. No adverse effects were reported with vitamin C supplementation in either animal models or human participants

Slow release vitamin c

DOSAGE
2000mg split am Pm
4000mg total