PDA

View Full Version : INSULIN - What type? When? How much?

sussupps
07-13-2015, 01:11 AM
G'day lads.

So I've been using 10iu of Novorapid pre-workout over the past 4 weeks and are now having 2 weeks off.

My question is:
I'm looking to increase my dose after my 2 week lay-off. If I'm currently having 10iu pre-workout, when would I have my other doses throughout the day? Also as mentioned above I'm using the fast acting Novorapid - would I benefit from using a slow acting insulin at all?

Thankyou, looking forward to hearing your responses as insulin is new to me.

grotereber
07-13-2015, 05:05 AM
I'm curious about this as well - does anyone know a good general resource for learning about insulin for bodybuilding?

brimmy
07-13-2015, 09:27 AM
Change the 10iu for 15iu and take it with every meal, adding more carbs to meals if needed. In my opinion post-workout is your most valuable insulin shot.

BIGDADDY
07-13-2015, 09:35 AM
I don't like pre-workout insulin.

I take
20iu Humalin-R with every meal
50iu Lantus in the morning
20iu Humalog post-workout

Something like that...

I've tried pre-workout insulin shots and all it caused me was to consume huge amounts of sugar drinks while I was working out.

sussupps
07-14-2015, 02:41 AM
I don't like pre-workout insulin.

I take
20iu Humalin-R with every meal
50iu Lantus in the morning
20iu Humalog post-workout

Something like that...

I've tried pre-workout insulin shots and all it caused me was to consume huge amounts of sugar drinks while I was working out.

Geez! That's a wicked looking cocktail.

I had a few hypoglycemic incidents when I was taking 10iu post-workout. Say I increase my Novorapid to 10iu with Meal 1, 3 & 6. How many grams of carbs would I need to consume around those meals in order to keep my blood sugar stable?

Serotonin101
07-14-2015, 04:21 AM
I thought it was best to start 10g/iu and slowly work down til you find your sweet spot? This is heresay for me as I will probably never touch slin unless it's to give to a diabetic pet lol

brimmy
07-14-2015, 11:23 AM
I thought it was best to start 10g/iu and slowly work down til you find your sweet spot? This is heresay for me as I will probably never touch slin unless it's to give to a diabetic pet lol

This is generally what people do. I started at 10g of carbs per iu and then experimented around and found that 9 grams of carbs per iu of insulin was my lower limit (some people can go as low as 5g per iu). Start at 10g per iu and change as needed. My first couple shots I had protein shakes with lot of maltodextrin and then topped up with pineapple juice (1L carton) when I started feeling a bit dizzy. Doing pre-workout insulin shots is dangerous in my opinion especially if you're only starting out!

ross123
07-27-2015, 02:29 PM
I personally love insulin although u do need to be careful with this stuff. I hate people saying how dangerous it is... yes it does have to be taken with caution but just be sensible. always have a small pot of jam or jelly beans or normal red coke at hand. if u ever feel like ur going under take some of these and ull come round quick. I have insulin with every meal and pre and post workout. although I do lay off a few hours before bed time. taking with every meal throughout the day yields far better gains